About us You're in good hands
Freddy Lampret -
Pro Athlete/Head Coach
Freddy Lampret holds 2 B.Sc. Degrees:
1) B.Sc (Biochemistry & Genetics), University of Witwatersrand 2000
2) B.Sc.Hons (Physiotherapy), University of Witwatersrand 2005
Freddy Lampret has been running competitively since the age of 8, where he won his first provincial Cross Country Title.
While at school he competed in middle distance on the track; at 400m, 800m and 1500m distances.
After leaving school, Freddy became involved in Triathlon and has since competed in over 20 Ironman events and over 50 Ironman 70.3 events often finishing in top 10.
He has qualified for the Ironman 70.3 World Championships as a Professional.
He won the 2012 South African Long Course Triathlon Championship and is a 3-time consecutive winner of the Afriman Ultra Duathlon.
Freddy has won acclaim as a coach in the following areasIn addition to his education and athletic achievements, Freddy has also coached numerous athletes to national championship titles including amateurs and professionals.
He has coached swimming for the past 15 years and has run a successful masters/triathletes swim program for the past 12 years.
He has coached in excess of 150 people in completing their first Ironman, and hundreds more to their personal best performances over various distances and race formats.
JP Valverde -
Age group athlete/Entrepreneur/MPG Coach
JP Valverde has the following qualifications:
1) BCom, University of Malaga, Spain
2) MBA, Instituto de Empresa, Madrid, Spain
Born and raised in Spain, JP started cycling in his teens, but only became serious about the sport in 2008.
Since then, he has done 4 Cape Epics, 5 IronMan and participated in Long Distance Triathlon World Champs 2013 as an age grouper.
His best performance was 8th overall in his age group at IronMan South Africa and 1st in his age group at TriRock Durban in 2014.
Finished 7 Ironman races and several 70.3 races in SA and abroad.
Qualified for Long Distance Triathlon World Champs in 2012.
3rd at Ironman SA 2016.
Qualified for Ironman world champs in 2016.
JP is a serial entrepreneur and owns several businesses.
JP's strengths are business strategy and marketingJP is passionate about personal development and leadership training.
He sees exercise as a means of uplifting people’s self-image and confidence.
The same principles of discipline and delayed gratification that help people achieve their sports goals can be applied to any other area of one’s life.
Kim Heger -
Age Group Athlete / MPG Coach
Bachelor of Education
Kim is an educator at heart. She has a long career in teaching and has been involved in the coaching and training of Indoor Cycle Instructors across South Africa since 2002.
More recently Kim’s passion for sport turned to triathlon where she has begun to excel as an age grouper in the Iron Man 70.3 and full distance events.
Kim has participated in the half Iron Man World Championships, has topped the podium in her age group and will be racing for a position at the 2016 Kona World Championships in Hawaii.
Kim has an energy and passion for life which are hard to replicate.
For those of you lucky enough to be trained by her, she has a unique and interesting story to tell which which will allow anyone to believe that they too can take themselves from ordinary to exceptional.
Kim’s coaching strengths are the Mental Approaches to Self Discipline and Positivity, Big Match Temperament, Consistency and Compassion.
John Middlewick -
Age group athlete / MPG Coach
John has the following qualifications:
1) BCOM, General Management (University of South Africa)
2) MBA, Strategy (Gordon Institute of Business Science)
3) BA, Psychology (currently in final year, University of South Africa)
Growing up in Johannesburg, John excelled at swimming during his school career, placing 1st overall in the open age group.
Since then John’s participated in a myriad of sports, from mixed martial arts to long distance cycling.
John has competed in numerous triathlons of varying distances over the last several years, all the while balancing a thriving career in technology management.
John started his corporate technology career as a lecturer and system engineer, progressing into the technology management field.
John currently manages the channel and distribution business for a large hyper growth American technology business in the Southern Africa region.
- 2015- Ironman AWA (All World Athlete) - Bronze 2015
- 2015- Global Sun City Olympic distance (team entry) - Podium, swim leg only (due to injury)
- 2015 - Iron man 70.3 South Korea, placed 11th in age group (3rd on swim leg)
- 2016 - Olympic distance trinity triathlon Germiston - 3rd in age group
Being a part-time athlete himself, John fully understands the challenges of balancing work, family and sport, endeavoring to help people achieve both athletic success and balance in their lives.
John’s focus is on helping the amateur athlete take the next step in their career.John’s an innate problem solver, and he’s always willing to explore new and alternative approaches to training that are tailored to each individual’s needs and lifestyle. John places particular emphasis on nutrition in order to get you the best possible results.
Having overcome multiple severe injuries during his career, John has exceptional insight into the rehabilitation process, and has key first-hand understanding of the mental endurance required for competition.
Erwan Prevost -
Age group athlete / MPG Coach
Erwan has the following qualifications:
1) 2 degrees from the IUT of Aix and the Commercial IT Industrial Degrees
2) CMAS Instructor level IMichael
Born and raised in France, Erwan started the first 3 years of his career as a CMAS Instructor and pursued his career in the Commercial IT sector.
Over the last 11 years, he has participated in multiple Long Distance Triathlons including IM World Championships as an Age Grouper.
He started triathlon coaching in 2012, and has been very proud to assist people with unleashing their greatest potential and to give a path to experience in 2 to 3 years best possible rankings and podium finishes at major triathlon events such as IM70.3 and full IM.
He finds it very rewarding to see the positive changes in athletes lives and enjoys the challenge of helping all members strive and achieve their goals.
- IM SA 2015, 9h45, 3rd AG
- IM WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP KONA 2014, 10h12
- IM SA 2014, 10hrs 14mn, 4th AG
- IM 70.3 Buffalo City SA 2015, 4h45, 1st AG
- IM 70.3 Durban SA 2015, 4h25, 1st AG
- IM SA 2013, 10h24, 3rd AG
- IM 70.3 WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 2011
Erwan would like to continue to offer you the ability to reach personal bests time and time again for all MPG members.
Samantha Harrington -
MPG Coach / Age-group athlete
Samantha is extremely passionate about researching new, up-to-date training and coaching skills available and combining this with 12 years’ experience in endurance sport, racing nationally and internationally in World Championship events namely 70.3 and Ironman World champs she aims to bring all of her athletes top class coaching, knowledge and attention to detail.
Her passion for the sport comes out in the relationships she develops with her athletes and ensures that there is a two way working relationship between coach and athlete to ensure maximum benefit for her athletes, results, performance and love for the sport.
- Diploma (Coaching Science)
- TSA Level 1 certified coach
- Degree in Interior Architecture
After becoming a mom in 2015 and now being back racing, she understands the importance of how to balance training, work and family life to ensure maximum results in all areas.
- 2010 & 2011 70.3 Phuket : overall age group winner
- 2010 & 2011 Ironman South Africa : 2nd in age category
- 2012 Ironman World Champs : 17th in age category/1st SA Woman home
- 2013 African X 3 day stage trail run (90km) : 5th overall ladies team
- 2013 Tri Rock Durban : 2nd Elite lady overall
- 2013 Wines2Whales 3 Day stage race : 1st ladies team overall
- 2013 Global 11 Triathlon SunCity : 1st overall female
- 2014 70.3 Half Ironman South Africa 1st 30-34 age group
- 2014 Ironman South Africa : 2nd in age category
- 2016 Olympic distance trinity triathlon Germiston : 2nd Lady overall
Jason Wilford -
Age group athlete / MPG Coach
Jason is a 40-year-old father of twin girls, the MD of his own data analytics business and director and strategic consultant to two other companies.
He holds degrees in Law, Commerce and Strategic Management and is passionate about people leadership and development.
"I clearly understand the time and priority challenges of trying to juggle your passion and sporting goals with your career and more importantly your family".
Having always been active Jason’s pre endurance background includes being a Camel Trophy finalist, Dive Master, Skipper, Martial arts enthusiast and instructor, competitive swimmer and waterpolo player.
He started his endurance career in the “deep end” as a competitive adventure racer achieving multiple podiums over numerous years of racing and a first place in the inaugural Swazi Extreme.
In 2012 he turned his attention to triathlon and has subsequently completed 4 full Ironmen and over 20 half ironman events.
He has also been selected for 4 SA teams in both the Standard and Long distance events and represented Triathlon South Africa at the 2015 standard distance world championships in Chicago.
He will again be representing SA at the Long Distance world championships in Oklahoma later this year and plans to race 70.3 world champs in Tennessee next year.
Jason’s coaching philosophy is, "If we are not having fun we are doing it wrong". If you are a beginner looking to become an Ironman or just do your first triathlon, or if you are an existing novice or Amateur triathlete or Ironman looking to become more competitive, Jason would be a great guide in helping you to your goals through the MPG platform.
Michael Cannon -
Age group athlete / MPG Coach
Michael has a Masters (MSc) Degree in Human Kinetics and Ergonomics from Rhodes University
Michael is passionate about sports, health and fitness and has worked hard to achieve his goals, be it at work, on the sporting arena or at home.
Michael lives quite a busy life, but has been able to balance the demands that life throws at him, while still being able to do what he loves, which is triathlon, road running, mountain biking and trail running.
Michael currently works full-time at City Logistics as a Project Manager, and is a husband and father to an amazing little girl, with a second one on the way.
Michael has been doing triathlon for the last 5-years, and has worked hard to achieve what he wanted over the Olympic, Half Ironman and Full Ironman distances.
Michael likes getting fully involved and competes in road running races (half marathon & full marathon) and multi-stage mountain bike races.
- Ironman SA 70.3 2013 (East London) – 4:33:19 - 1st AG (25-29)
- SA Triathlon Champs 2013 - 1st AG (25-29) and 1st age grouper overall
- ATU African Triathlon Champs - 2013 (Morocco) - Elite athlete
- Trirock Durban 2014 – 4:00:10 - 2nd overall
- Ironman SA 70.3 2015 (East London) – 4:44:27 - 1st AG (30-34)
- Ironman SA 70.3 2015 (Durban) – 4:18:10 – 2nd AG (30-34)
- Deloitte’s Challenge Marathon – 2:43:08 – 8th overall
- Ironman SA 70.3 2016 (East London) – 4:44:59 – 4th AG (30-34)
- Ironman SA 2016 (Port Elizabeth) – 9:53:13 – 14th AG (30-34)
- Ironman SA 70.3 2016 (Durban) – 3:48:42 – 4th AG (30-34)
- Knysna Big 5 Challenge – 5th overall
Michael has been training with MPG for the last year, and has seen massive improvement on the bike, road and in the pool.
Looking back, Michael wishes he had joined earlier, as he says, "These programs are tailored specifically to work on my strengths and weaknesses and get me firm and ready come race day."
Michael is a very competitive person, love racing, and meeting new people.Michael works full-time, and lives a busy life, much like everybody else, and says about MPG, "I love how these programs have managed to do away with the dead miles and focus on getting the quality sessions in without having to spend dead miles on the road."
Claudia Hazelwood -
Age group athlete / MPG Coach
Claudia has the following qualifications:
1) BAccSc(Hons), (Wits University)
3) Qualified BASI Pilates Instructor
4) Qualified Watt Bike (Power) and Spinning Instructor
For long as she can remember, Claudia has lived an active lifestyle. From school days up to her university years and beyond, she has been passionately involved in almost every kind of sport.
While studying to become a chartered accountant, Claudia took up rowing at Wits University and went on to represent South Africa at the Student World Games in Hungary in 2010 and the Student World Championships in Russia in 2013.
Claudia is well accustomed to studying and working while following a rigorous training schedule. As a result, she understands the demands and challenges that everyday life places on an age group athlete.
Her achievements to date include multiple first places at the South African rowing championships, podium positions at various Olympic distance triathlons, half ironman distance triathlons, a full ironman distance triathlon and numerous local cycling events.
- 2016 – Coronation Double Century – Charles Milner Award & 4th Ladies Team
- 2016 – Two Oceans Ultra Marathon – Bronze Medalist
- 2015 - Ironman AWA (All World Athlete) – Gold
- 2015 – Panorama Tour Stage Race – 2nd Ladies Team
- 2015 – Coronation Double Century – 1st Ladies Team
- 2015 – SA Long Course Champs – 3rd in Age Group
- 2015 – Trirock Cradle – 1st in Age Group
- 2015 – Discovery Duathlon – 2nd in Age Group
- 2014 - Ironman PE – 1st in Age Group
- 2014 - Represented SA in Kona, Hawaii at the Ironman World Championships
- 2014 – Coronation Double Century – 3rd Mixed Team
Having overcome a severe back injury during her career, Claudia has significant insight into injury prevention and rehabilitation. In addition, she has first-hand insight and understanding of mental toughness.
Her passion and drive for sport, exercise, human movement and adaptation of the body is infectious.
Stewart Mackay -
Age group athlete / MPG Coach
Stewart has the following qualifications:
1) Athletics South Africa : Level 1 Coach (Track & Field)
2) BSc Business Administration & Management, University of London (currently completing)
Stewart's athletic background goes back to high school where he got involved in road running in Cape Town.
He excelled at events of between 10km-21km, where he regularly took age group podiums as well as gaining provincial level cross-country.
Stewart was also involved in rowing at one stage and represented South Africa at World Champs in 1999, in Nottingham.
After high school, Stewart focussed on developing his career in IT Sales as well as studying various supporting courses.
In 2011, he decided, after being convinced by his High School Athletics Coach (it took 13 years), to get back into fitness but through Triathlon instead of Running.
It was an instant hit...the bug bit so to speak, and within a couple of seasons, he was facilitating the coaching of Beginner & Intermediate athletes in JHB, before relocating back to Cape Town, where he did the same in the Southern Suburbs region of Cape Town.
Stewart's motto is: "If you consistently pitch up, and consistently hit the numbers, you will consistently see positive results"
Stewart has completed 2 Ironmans, as well as a string of 70.3's.
He has a couple of recent age group podium finishes to his name and is now focussed on returning to the levels of performance he had back in High School.
From a coaching perspective, Stewart is a big believer in following a structured routine and applying consistency throughout.
Shawn Crafford -
Ultra Runner / MPG Coach
Shawn is a passionate intermediate ultra-runner. Born and raised in Pietermaritzburg South Africa home of the Comrades Marathon, he now resides in County Cavan, Ireland.
Worked in the butchery business to fund his obsession with distance running.
Independent social media and administration consultant.
Currently studying business and administration to advance his education
- Completing Comrades in 1998
- Running The Great Wall Marathon
- Dublin marathon
- Ambassador for The Great Wall Marathon
- Ambassador for LockLacer.com
- Ambassador for The Runners Tea
- Ambassador for Icespikes
- Volunteer on marathon chat show on twitter
Coaching experience –Coached basketball at high school level, for 3 years.
He worked in a health and fitness club as an apprentice physical trainer.
All his experience comes from participating and volunteering in marathons and has coached at juvenile level as well as at adult level with couch to 5km.
The most rewarding part of coaching for him is to see people succeed.
Shawn's Motto: In life - Never give up on your dreams or yourself, you are more resilient than you think.Two favourite Latin Quotes: Carpe Diem (Seize the Moment) and Summa Diligenta Laboro (Together We Strive)
Cobus Kruger -
Age group athlete/ MPG Coach
Cobus is a professional triathlete whose passion is evangelism, leadership and community development through the platform of sport.
Cobus is currently working with Athletes in Action (Campus Crusade for Christ), under the umbrella of the International Sports Coalition, and the AFM (Apostolic Faith Mission).
Cobus is also involved with Spinning instructing at Virgin Active, swimming coaching at Park town Girls High and one on one mentorship with some pro athletes on a weekly basis.
- BTH Degree in Theology
- Certificate from the International Sport Leadership School
- Level two qualifications in both athletics and swim coaching
- Spinning instructor certificate
- Ubabalu and Victorious Living Leadership trainer of trainers
- Ordained as a pastor under the AFM (Apostolic Faith Mission)
Cobus also has experience in networking, public speaking, motivational speaking, teaching and leadership development.
Latest race results:
- 1st at SA Champs in age group, and African champ, 20 March 2016
- 2nd in age group, Central Gauteng champs, 10th January 2016.
- 5150 Bella bella- 11 th in the Pro field.
- 2nd overall in the Prestege ultra, Standard(Olympic) distance race the 8th of March 2015
- X- Dirt- Triathlon Sprint (Buffelspoort), 30/03/2014, Overall 1st position
- SA Championships (East London), 23/03/2014, Overall 5th position (2nd in age group)
- Sprint Triathlon (Buffelspoort), 09/03/2014, Overall 1st position
- X-dirt Sprint triathlon Challenge (Roodeplaat dam), 02/03/14, Overall 1st position
- Gauteng Championships (Germiston), 09/02/14, 5th Overall (1st in age group)
Our mission is to become the internationally acclaimed "gold standard" in exercise prescription
Our philosophy is to offer individuals an optimal training program to ensure that their best adaptation is the outcome. We continually determine correct fitness levels to provide the optimal training stress. In this way we have a training solution that can not be matched by conventional methods.
We are pioneers. With this comes the responsibility of leading with integrity, performing our duties with diligence and trying our utmost to be of service to those who we help. We know that we have the tools to bring out the absolute best in people, athletically, so we will strive to continue to be at the forefront of best-practice, and to be the "gold standard" in exercise prescription.